The following list of ten ads aren’t necessarily the best ever created (although most of them are very good), rather, they’re ads that changed the way the advertising industry thinks & works.
1. Gibbs SR / Gibbs / Young & Rubicam / 1955
Because it was the first ever ad on British TV
3. Hilltop / McCann Erickson / Coca-Cola / 1971
For the breathtaking appropriation of love and tolerance by a brand
4. Iguana / Collett Dickenson Pearce / Gallagher / 1978
Enigmantic, utterly compelling … opened up a new (and surreal) palette to advertisers
6. Manhattan / Saatchi & Saatchi / British Airways / 1983
The first ad to straddle the corporate/consumer divide
7. 1984 / Apple / Ogilvy & Mather / 1984
Demonstrated that impact can be more effective than exposure
8. Launderette / Bartle Bogle Hegarty / Levi’s / 1986
Changed the way advertising thought about music
10. BMWfilms.com / Fallon / BMW USA / 2001
Demonstrated that the internet was a viable alternative to television and, that if the content is good enough, viewers will seek it out.