In more recent times, five new users have gained entry into the exclusive Twitter’s 10 million Followers club: Cristiano Ronaldo, Bruno Mars, Chris Brown, Jennifer Lopez and Pink, which brings this very exclusive membership to a total of twenty-four.
It’s interesting that Twitter’s most-followed elite continues to skew heavily towards women and most notably amongst pop singers. Thirteen of the top twenty-four most followed users and seven of the top ten are female.
Ashton Kutcher’s Twitter star is starting to wane somewhat – the former Twitter number one and the first Twitter person to attract over one million followers, is now on the verge of relegation from the top twenty.
It seems that people like people when it comes to Twitter activity with only one brand – YouTube (aside from the official @Twitter a/c) – having more than 10 million followers on the network.
Twitter’s top 20 most-followed users at the time of writing are:
- Lady Gaga (@ladygaga, 28,396,513 followers)
- Justin Bieber (@justinbieber, 26,624,135)
- Katy Perry (@katyperry, 25,052,788)
- Rihanna (@rihanna, 24,246,305)
- Britney Spears (@britneyspears, 19,494,044)
- Barack Obama (@barackobama, 18,558,686)
- Shakira (@shakira, 17,814,951)
- Taylor Swift (@taylorswift13, 17,450,767)
- Kim Kardashian (@kimkardashian, 15,819,925)
- YouTube (@youtube, 15,097,658)
- Nicki Minaj (@nickiminaj, 14,163,715)
- Justin Timberlake (@jtimberlake, 13,295,980)
- Oprah Winfrey (@oprah, 13,271,733)
- Ellen Degeneres (@theellenshow, 12,939,993)
- Twitter (@twitter, 12,597,250)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano, 12,384,643)
- Selena Gomez (@selenagomez, 12,347,574)
- Kaka (@kaka, 12,280,595)
- Marshall Mathers (@eminem, 12,037,838)
- Ashton Kutcher (@aplusk, 11,881,212)